Will the ban on drinking liquor and loud parties within a 300-meter radius from the grand parade route dampen the Sinulog spirit this year?
Looking in a positive perspective, the ban brings back attention to the essence of the Sinulog, which is a dance of worship for Cebu’s Patron Senyor Santo Niño, on January 21.
But a Philippine fiesta is not complete without the fiesta food and the fun, said Sinulog Executive Committee chairman Councilor Dave Tumulak.
‘Kalingawan sa Plaza,’ the Sinulog fair at Plaza Independencia, is thus a major fiesta component. There will be a variety of food stalls, inflatables and a tartanilla ride for the kids, and nightly entertainment during the Sinulog week, he said.
Here’s a lowdown of FUN nightly entertainment at Kalingawan sa Plaza:
- Launching program of the Sinulog Festival Queen, Sinulog Idol, and Sinulog Dance Crew
- Cultural Show by Department of Education Cebu Province
- Cultural Show by Cebu Technological University (CTU) and Indiana Aerospace University
- Cultural Show by University of the Visayas and University of Cebu
- Cultural Show by Mandaue City College and Mandaue School for the Arts
- Cultural Show by Salazar Institute of Technology and Cebu Doctors’ University
- Cultural Show by Department of Education Cebu City
- Music and Comedy Night by Flexi Finance
- Cultural show by University of San Carlos
- Variety show by 24/7
- Sky Night by Skycable
- Cultural Show by University of Southern Philippines Foundation, University of San Jose-Recoletos, and Cebu Institute of Technology University
- 6 Cycle Mind c/o San Miguel Corp.
- Sinulog Idol 2018 Grand Finals
- Coke Studio Artists with Coca Cola Philippines
- IPI Night
- Parokya ni Edgar with Globe Telecom
TWO GOOD REASONS WHY PLAZA INDEPENDENCIA IS THE PLACE TO GO TO THIS SINULOG WEEK
- ACCESSIBLE – More than the festive barrio fiesta atmosphere at Plaza Independencia, the place is a short walk from the Basilica del Santo Niño and the Magellan’s Cross.
- RICH IN HISTORY – Both Cebuanos and their visitors will be treated with the presence of heritage sites especially Fort San Pedro. It connects us better with our history, that of the Sinulog and who we are.
Kitakits sa Plaza! 🙂
CEBU CITY IN RETROSPECT
Cebu City had become the first Christian community in South East Asia after the explorer Ferdinand Magellan arrived and baptized some 800 Cebuanos in 1521. The image of Senyor Santo Niño was Magellan’s baptismal gift to Cebu’s Queen Juana. It is now the oldest religious relic in the country.
With rise of the ASEAN community, Cebu can claim as the region’s cradle of Christianity. In addition, the arrival of Magellan gave Cebu a place in world history since Spanish expedition achieved the first circumnavigation of the world.
A BIG THANKS TO THE SPONSORS!
Sinulog 2018 is made possible with the valuable assistance of our sponsors: Smart / PLDT / Sun; Sky Cable; Coca Cola; SM City Cebu/SM Seaside City; Flexi Finance; San Miguel Corporation; Islands Group; International Pharmaceuticals Inc.; Grab Car; Pepsi; Skygo; Robinson’s Galleria; Alcordo Advertising; 24/7 Inc; Cebu Cordova Link Expressway Corp.; Cignal; Freenet; Generika Drugstore; Globe; Phil Health; Skin Magical Beauty; TrueMoney; Food Panda; Nature’s Spring; Viriginia Foods; Universal Robina Corporation; Steel Art Billboards; ML Foods Inc.; Mang Inasal; Jollibee; Air Asia; Gardenia; NutriAsia Philippines; Pioneer Adhesives; Real Page; VECO; Mineshine Milk Tea; TomFrances Layouts & Designs Inc.; Mega Global Corp.; and Novellino Wines Minor.
Note: Feature Photo credit to Sinulog Foundation Facebook
A former educator and now working as a freelance writer. Simply living her own version of life’s passion – music, mobile photography, story telling, road trips and food trailing! 🙂